Thursday, February 12, 2009

Adoption

Mom and Brooklynn

I've just been reading the articles on adoption in the February Ensign and of course, it has made me think once again of how adoption, apart from the Atonement, has been the greatest gift in my life. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of the way our family has come together and of the sacrifices that have helped us to be so happy. Part of me likes to think that I love my kids more than anyone else could possibly love theirs because I waited and prayed and pleaded and cried for them for so long. I know from talking to and reading blogs by people who have received their children the "normal way" that this isn't really true--they all REALLY love their kids and that's a good thing. I've realized it isn't a contest. My love and appreciation for the gifts that they are stand alone and are special to me. It is the first thing that I thank God for every time I pray.

Oftentimes, when Brooklynn sees words printed somewhere--from the "Dakota" on the side of our truck to the "Eddie Bauer" on her high chair, she'll trace her finger along the letters and "read" what it says. It makes me extremely happy that she reads them aloud all the same way: "It says Mommy loves Brooklynn!"

I know people are often interested in our relationship with Brooklynn's and Ian's birth parents. I thought I would share a few excerpts from some of the notes their birth mom has sent us over the last couple years. (I've edited just a tad so they are easier to read. They are in order from oldest to newest and each paragraph is from a separate communication.)

Dad and Ian

"You guys are wonderful and remind me that i made a very good decision to give her to you and to give you to her. i know she'll thank me for giving her a good mom and dad. HAPPY MOTHERS DAY. I AM PROUD TO SAY I GAVE YOU YOUR FIRST AND ALL THE REST TO COME."

"I love you guys for being the wonderful people you are and for being so good to Brooklynn. I love Brooklynn so so much and think of her everyday."

". . . also wanted to tell you that as hard as parts of this is you guys gave me another experience that I can't even explain. Just completely amazing. With Gods help and yours. To see the way your faces changed, even when not smiling made me feel so--Wow! That's the only way I can explain. There are no words for it. Other than having my own, it's just the most amazing thing. I thank God for letting me have them so that I could do this for someone. And after asking why would God give me more than I can handle? Now i know why. And you 2 being so wonderful also made it to be this wonderful for me. I don't think anyone else could make this one of the best feelings I've ever had, and now I have to thank God and you guys for giving me that. Everything happens for a reason, and you were my reason. I no longer question why. So glad we were brought together to give each other these life changing experiences. It's a wonderful way to end the miracle God has blessed me with, the gift of children. I love u guys. It's still hard, but you have also made it at the same time so incredible."

"LOVE U ALL, But that baby most of all. God bless."

10 comments:

Wilde Things said...

You made me cry! I love that you have kept all your correspondences with her (aren't some of those text messages?). You are a wonderful Mom and I am so happy you and John and Brooklynn and Ian.
I was thinking of you while I was reading those articles too, actually every time I read anything about adoption I think of you (and usually cry)!
Lubba!

Leighanna said...

This is a beautiful post. I read those Ensign articles and really pondered the blessing of adoption. I am so happy that you guys have been blessed with Brooklynn and Ian.

Marci said...

Thanks for sharing those notes and your thoughts! I think reading stories of adoption helps us all to appreciate our children more and realize what blessings they are, no matter how they come to us. You are such an amazing mother and I am so glad that Brooklynn and Ian have you...lucky kids :-)!

rusted sun said...

Thanks so much for sharing Emily.

Chelle said...

So touching! What beautiful sentiments from all of you! Just a minute while I grab a kleenex! Brooklynn and Ian are so lucky to have parents like you! I'm so grateful I could be a small little "link" in such a miraculous connection. God is in the details, for sure!!!

John said...

You do such a great job with our blog. Thanks for all your efforts, I will treasure this forever. I love you.

Elizabeth said...

I love this post!! Thank you so much!!

Lisa Erskine said...

What a special post! I am so happy for you guys...and Brooklyn and Ian are so lucky to have you two as parents! :)

McKell and John said...

Just beautiful! What an amazing story! Look at that, you get put in relief society and you get all mushy on us! ha ha. Thank you so much for sharing. I

Diane said...

I just saw that you had a blog! I'll have to read through to catch up on what you've been up to. Your little kids are so cute!

My brother and his wife have adopted two kids now too. Watching what they've gone through is incredibly painful and joyous at the same time. I'm so glad your life has been able to be blessed through adoption.

You're awesome!